mardi 11 novembre 2014

Amy Obenski

The new interview is with the amazing singer Amy Obenski. Amy has already recorded 5 beautiful albums: 'What We Tell', 'Kite', 'From the Deep', 'Grow to Catch the Wind' and the lastest 'Restless' this year.
Listen to quickly her music: http://www.amyobenski.com


Where did you grow up and where do you live now?

I was raised in San Diego, California. I currently live in San Francisco, California.


When and why did you start playing music?

I started singing at a very young age, maybe at four years old. I started choir at age five and piano at age six. I can't say exactly why I started way back then. I was young and my mother sang and played the piano. My parents gave me an option between a school that focused on music and a school that focused on science. I chose music.


And how did you get started singing?

Most of my singing experience until I was 20 years old came from choirs. Lots and lots of choir.


What was the first tune(s) you learned?

"Tomorrow" from Annie


What singers, musician or otherwise, influenced you growing up?

I had so much musical influence it's hard to know where to start. I used to sing harmonies along with my mom. I learned a lot of classical and jazz throughout my childhood.
My pop and rock influences were all over the place and included Prince, Arrested Development, Pearl Jam, Boys 2 Men, Pink Floyd & The Doors.


You released your last full-length LP 'Restless' this summer. Unlike the previous ones, this one is titled "Amy Obenski & The Carbon Band". Why did you choose to be with a band?

I partly chose the band and they partly chose me. I was planning a trip to Europe and through a series of events, I found a band in France that wanted to play with me. I didn't even expect it. And when I played with them they sounded amazing and we had tons of fun! So naturally, I had to play with them more and return to France to be with them.
I wasn't planning an album with a band from France but it just sort of happened. It was a wonderful series of events and a highlight of my life, personally and professionally.


How many musicians and who are they?

Philippe Crochet on guitar
Mourad Ait Abdelmalek on drums
Josselin Sebille on bass


Those musicians had an impact on your music?

Most definitely. They took my music in a more Rock direction. It was really good for me. And I had to let go of a lot of my ideas of how my songs should sound. It was a great lesson for me in letting go and having things turn out positively as a result.


What are the qualities that you look for in your band?

I want my band to truly love the music, enjoy working with me and feel invested in my music as a project. On a personal level, we need to "jive" somewhat and have a good time.
Musically, I look for different qualities from each musician, but I feel they need to compliment the music rather than dominate it.


Is there a song on this last album that you especially love?

My favorite is "Some Kinda Change". I also really love "Deep Blue Ocean" and "Follow My Own Lead"


Can you explain your process of writing and composing?

Oh boy. What a big question. Usually my lyrics and melody come to me at the same time. Sometimes I sit at the piano or guitar and fool around until I find something that grabs me, and then I add my melody/lyrics to that.
Sometimes I write the melody and lyrics first and then add the instrument after. I don't stick to one writing format. I pull from many different processes until something works.
Sometimes a song just comes to me and I have to find a pen as fast as possible. Sometimes I have to sit down and focus and work really hard.


Where do you get inspiration from for your lyrics?

My lyrics just come from life. I spent a lot of time from about age eleven to sixteen, writing poetry in my room at night. I do a lot of thinking, sometimes too much thinking, but luckily a lot of this thought turns into songs. I analyze and reflect on my life a lot. Life is short and uncertain. It's important to me that I live life to it's fullest. So I think a lot of my lyrics are talking about how to break out of anything that is keeping me from doing that.


I know you like France! What do you like in this country?

Mostly, the people. I find French people are honest and know how to enjoy life. They have a lot less guilt and more fun than we do as Americans. The French really know how to enjoy a good moment.
They can sit and eat wonderful food with wine and great people for hours and not feel bad about it. It's what life is about. In the U.S. there's always this sense that you should be doing something that makes money or is productive.


Have you think singing in French for the next songs?

I have thought about it. I sang one verse in French in my song "In Paris" on the album.


Who are some artists you are currently enjoying?

Laura Veirs, Loch Lomond & Bonobo. I have to speak of my San Francisco based artists and friends too, of which there are far too many to mention. But they include Seth Lael, Artemesia Black, Kenny Schick, Kevin Robinson and so many others. There is so much good music out there that is not on the radio!


Do you like play covers on stage?

Only once in a while. I like to take a tune from an artist that really resonates with me and turn it into my own song. I've done this with Tracey Chapman, Stevie Wonder, Leonard Cohen and Spearhead so far.


What are the most memorable recent gigs times and why?

a) The final concert at the end of my Artist in Residence at La Maison des Arts in Saint Herblain, France. This was the end of my trip to france and also the culmination of everything we had worked on. In addition the auditorium was sold out, we had a string ensemble, I had The Carbone Band with me, and I got to play the Steinway. How can that not be the best?

b) CD Release Party for Restless in the center of San Francisco. I put together a band in San Francisco for this concert. We played the entire album from start to finish. There was also a DJ and live painting and several of my close friends in the audience. We had a great time.


How do you describe your music?

Ethereal Americana with a jazz influence and haunting vocals? I don't know, my description always changes and nothing seems to describe it adequately to me.


Can you promote some links to discover your music?

Of course!
http://www.amyobenski.com
http://www.facebook.com/amyobenski
http://www.twitter.com/amyobenski


Have you ever visited my blog and listen to the singers?

Yes, I believe I have.


Why don't you wear your glasses for any of your album covers?

Usually, the problem is about the glare on my glasses for pictures. I don't like my eyes to be hidden behind the glare. I want to look at people.


Still, you seem wearing your glasses more often. Has my page changed your opinion of glasses?

Maybe a little. Honestly, it has crossed my mind and boosted my confidence in wearing my glasses.


If you could go open up for any artist on tour right now who would it be?

Laura Veirs


What's your others hobbies?

Tango dancing, yoga, hiking/walking, travel and cooking.


Any plans for a new tour in France?

Not at this moment. Certain factors have made returning to France difficult which is very sad for me. I hope to return at some point in the future but right now I have no plans.


What’s next for Amy Obenski?

I've been practicing with a "looper". It’s this piece of equipment that allows you to instantly record and play back what you creat in a Live setting. You can then record and play back on top of what you created in a semi-endless fashion. I've been exploring this and practicing a lot. We'll see if it ends up in my Live performance. I hope so. I'm also hoping to make a music video for my song, Deep Blue Ocean. And I'm working on booking a lot of shows for 2015, mostly in the U.S.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire